Google Books Case Links

Whatever.

Moderator: peterZ

abmartin
Number of books owned: 2000

Google Books Case Links

Post by abmartin »

Since Groklaw is gone... If anyone has some interesting links about the recent dismissal, I'd be interested to see them.

Now that the Author's Guld vs. Google has been dismissed and the recent Author's Guild vs. HaithiTrust ruling, a legal consensus seems to be emerging about digitization of printed materials.

Last time this stuff came up on the forum, there was some discussion, so there is some interest on the subject. The earlier thread is missing its progenitor's comments now, so my massive pile of garbage makes even less sense in that thread now that the questions are gone. Now that another major step in the case has been taken, I figured I'd link to Library Journal's aggregator on the topic. I'm very interested to see how this will all play out in future.

http://www.infodocket.com/2013/11/14/go ... -law-suit/

The Library Copyright Alliance is thrilled by this.

(As a music guy primarily, I'm very interested to see if snippet databases of recordings will emerge as a result of this ruling as well as allowing us to do the sort of bulk analysis that Google Books allows for linguists -- although it's technically much harder for us to do it and there won't be that much info of great interest that can be gleaned algorithmically from sound recordings. Doing it with sheet music is pretty hard, since everything needs converted into musicXML or a something similar first, which is slower than just doing the analysis by hand. (unless it's 12 tone or some sort of predictable generative process) It could still provide some interesting insights into tempo, timbre, and balance across eras)

For the sake of the mods of the site: This post is the opinion of its author who has no legal credentials and in no way reflects the opinions of the community or owners of diybookscanner.org

(If anyone else is concerned by the TPP agreement's effects on copyright, be sure to support the EFF, write letters, etc...)