ABBYY FineReader

Convert page images into searchable text. Talk about software, techniques, and new developments here.

Moderator: peterZ

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: ABBYY FineReader

Post by rob »

I'd be suspicious as well. What is this guy doing with 10 copies of software retailing for US$400? And his history shows he has been selling other software in similar fashion. And, the auction says it's a download. This is totally not legitimate.

Also:

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Avoid-pu ... 0012047189
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
fbonomi

Post by fbonomi »

This guy is brilliant! Not only he is able to download pirated warez, but he is also able to do 10 copies of it!

BTW, he also sells PDFs of books. I guess he has built his own book scanner :-)
tsttm

Post by tsttm »

ok, probably not legit then. I apologize, it's not right to have that ebay listing on these forums.

Thanks for the link to the ebay guides as well.

Having said that, i came accross a listing for pvr software which normally sells $90ish for $10 buy it now. At the time i didn't even consider it might be pirated (although they were shipping the cd & case etc...). In the end, i emailed tech support the serials just to see if they were legit & it was. Also, the guy told me he didn't realize how much it was worth until after i bid & said it was his loss.

In his case though, he had a real kaleidoscope of items for sale...so i think he just came across it, didn't research its value & just listed it.

With this guy with abbyy though, there are a few things that look fishy. i thought there might be a chance it was a listing error instead than 69.50 GBP

anyway, how do these guys not get banned from ebay?
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

The people who buy pirated software don't complain as long as it works, so unless the copyright holder (or a jerk like me) complains, they manage to keep selling.

I just clicked the "report item" on this, and filed a report. Probably he won't be banned (eBay doesn't make money by kicking people off), but I'll bet he stops selling this software.
tsttm

Post by tsttm »

hi, i'm still testing/learning abbyy

I scanned this fairly small handbook thinking it'll be easier to read since i can create a pdf at my desired zoom level. After going through the post processing & opening it in abbyy, when i do my final save to pdf, the final result is a pdf page with image/text of the handbook in the middle of the page (ie it's like it saved a real size image of the scan & there's a huge border around it on the pdf). I know the only option for pdf is 'exact' copy...but is there a way to tell abbyy to save the pdf/image so that it fills the page?

When i'm viewing, i can zoom in so it's like i'm reading it big...but is there a way to just have it fill the page so i dont' have to zoom in? hope this makes sense.
fbonomi

Post by fbonomi »

this large "margin" is already present in the original images you are giving to finereader ?

or is it added by finereader?

also, in tools - Options - Save - format Settings - PDF there are the following options:
- Default paper size
- Keep original image size

what are the settings?
have you tried playing with these ?