Native font translation - Not Minion Pro/Times New Roman

Convert page images into searchable text. Talk about software, techniques, and new developments here.

Moderator: peterZ

fighterpilot
Number of books owned: 0

Native font translation - Not Minion Pro/Times New Roman

Post by fighterpilot »

I want to combine/edit page(s) utilizing same font from source document; rather than System or Default typeface, if possible?

I know how to on individual pages, but I'm wondering if there's an app that will recognize character and font (pre-selected font, e.g. not looking for Font-identity feature/software).

I primary use Acrobat (or Abbyy FR) to assemble, edit & finalize my [ScanTailor] batch output images; Acrobat notoriously uses Minion Pro whenever editing Combined pages (to PDF) -- users can only edit or Create New text with alternate fonts. Once pages are imported they're either Minion Pro or Times New Roman. Likewise with Abbyy FR.
cday

Re: Native font translation - Not Minion Pro/Times New Roman

Post by cday »

I don't use Scan Tailor but I do have a copy of Adobe Acrobat although not a recent one.

I'm not sure what you mean about combining or editing pages, could you explain in a bit more detail? Also, what form of output from ST are you using, in terms of file format and any other parameters that could be relevant?

Regarding Acrobat, assuming that you have a reasonably modern version with an option to output to searchable vectorised text rather than only to searchable bitmap text, originally referred to as ClearType but now an output option with a different name, are you using that form of output?

On the face of it, if you basically only require a good copy of your scanned documents, with no or minimal editing, then creating a ClearScan PDF file directly from a full set of ST processed images, either directly or by combining multiple ClearScan files, would seem like a viable solution. Regarding minor editing, I think that it should be possible to delete characters or unwanted images or marks directly in a finished file, I'm not sure though whether new text could be inserted by copying and pasting the vector text characters. As Acrobat undergoes continuing development addition editing features might possibly be added.

Edit:

The forum has been quite quiet recently, if as may well be the case you are actually wishing to change the font in an existing PDF file, an online search for something like 'change typeface in pdf file' seems to produce some results that might possibly be helpful.

And Adobe continues to refine Acrobat, as indicated in the following recent Oct 30 2023 report this report.
BruceG
Number of books owned: 500

Post by BruceG »

Abbyy Finereader can be forced to use any font that your system has. Normally there are 30 or so fonts by default ticked for use but you can untick all of them and select the one you want out of the 100's available. If the font you want is not available at all, that's another problem. All fonts are designed so there must be programs that are able to do that.
fighterpilot

Post by fighterpilot »

BruceG wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 17:39 Abbyy Finereader can be forced to use any font that your system has. Normally there are 30 or so fonts by default ticked for use but you can untick all of them and select the one you want out of the 100's available. If the font you want is not available at all, that's another problem. All fonts are designed so there must be programs that are able to do that.
I presume that feature is available with Abbyy windows pc ver.; I'm not seeing it on my Abbyy FR 15.2.11 (macOS) -- my PC work laptop has abbyy so I'll give that a try.
BruceG
Number of books owned: 500

Post by BruceG »

Yes, the Windows version.
You need to go via Tools > Options > OCR > Select Fonts > Clear All > then select the font you want.
This will use the selected font in the text layer. You can then have the Text layer sit on top of the Image lager, with
Tools > Options > Format Settings > Searchable PDF settings and then select - Text over the page image.
Trust this helps.