BookScrap

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Hasher

BookScrap

Post by Hasher »

Hi Guys

New to the forum as I only found the site today . Just finished making myself a plattern style book scanner . I started building it last year and pretty much made it out of scrap from work, . Pretty much its a copy of a commerical machine and definatly other designs here are much more advanced of what I have done.

In hindsight I would never have built it this way if I had never seen a commerical machine. Away I just did it all visually without plans or mock ups . Overall it will do the job. Now I just need to buy cameras and sort out which software to use.

Looks like a great forum and will be lurking around :-)

I plan to make the plattern a little bigger to make whole background bigger

Surround is channel and fastened together with 0.32" flat strips and aircraft solid rivets

The vertical rails , upper is camera mounts

View looking thru the camera mount

the main base

Its matt picture framing glass , which gives a great finish with almost no glare. I am paranoid about cracking it :-/ i cracked the first two plates as i assembled them under tension

Taken with a 7mp 3x optical zoom sony camera

Rails installed on upright . just furniture draw rails

Starting to assemble

handle is flatterned Alum tubing bend roughly at ends. angle at vee is 2 shelf brackets

the two steel rails are for magnets to keep book in place

Base rails

Overall the whole rig cost me about $120 to produce . Hope you find it interesting :D
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: BookScrap

Post by daniel_reetz »

Welcome and thanks for posting what you've done! You should be able to use some of the software our forum members have made to process the output of this thing, if you need -- have you scanned many books with it yet?
Hasher

Post by Hasher »

Hi daniel

Just taken some test shots , only have one cheap Sony 7mp which takes a good photo. Still working out which software to use. Might code something to suit my personal needs :)
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Cool. The work area that you show your scanner in is incredible.
Hasher

Post by Hasher »

Yeah thats my garden shed ;) ...... No really its the back of the hangar where I work . My day job is a Aircraft Maint Engineer and I am lucky to have the use of the hangar for personal projects . Most of my scanner is made of aircraft scrap, aircraft rivets and aircraft sheet metal

You can see a aircraft in the back of this pic

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Cool rig. What's stands out is what looks like a ghost standing or hanging there holding a book.
ghost.jpg
ghost.jpg (17.36 KiB) Viewed 17774 times
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead »

I loved the perks of working on airplanes. I had a job as an apprentice mechanic, and I also got to use the hanger for my personal projects. We had buckets and buckets of hardware, and if we didn’t have it we could just order it on the company account. My favorite thing was being able to wash my car in the hanger, because I have a dirt driveway.
kthiessen

Post by kthiessen »

i like the rail design as opposed to a hinged platen. thats real clean!
Hasher

Post by Hasher »

i like the rail design as opposed to a hinged platen. thats real clean!

Yes it is real clean , No binding and its easy to setup. I used ordinary kitchen draw slides but there still good quality. Theres also slides under the plattern for self centring the book . Use could use Linear rails but the slight resistance in the draw slides is quite help. I think they will even improve with age and wear :-)
Hasher

Post by Hasher »

Ordered my cameras today :-) A pair of Canon Powershot A620 , compatiable with the Canon SDK