Scan Tailor "Enhanced"

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

La_Tristesse

Re: Scan Tailor "Enhanced"

Post by La_Tristesse »

@Pejuko
Still the same error. Thank you for your efforts. Could you explain how to build ScanTailor on Windows.

@Misty
I successfully built ScanTailor with Homebrew but where is the binary stored. I dont see a mac os typical App-bundle. How do I run it?
pejuko

Post by pejuko »

See scantailor/packaging/windows/readme.en.txt
I recomend Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition steps, as I wasn't successful with Mingw GCC.
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

@La_Tristesse: It's stored in /usr/local/bin, which is one of the standard locations for Unix programs. You can launch it from the commandline just by typing scantailor

If you want an icon for it, you can right-click on it and choose "Options - Keep in dock".
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
feliks
Number of books owned: 150

Post by feliks »

Can somebody post their compiled, Lion, version of Scan Tailor Enhanced? When I compile mine, none of the buttons have graphics.

Thanks!

-Feliks
leescott

Post by leescott »

I use Windows XP.Does "original mode" mean keep page unchanged(not trimmed ,nor enlarged)?
Why I can't run it after installing?
And how to run it in scantailor-cli?Could you give me pictures step by steps?Thanks!
pejuko

Post by pejuko »

leescott wrote:Does "original mode" mean keep page unchanged(not trimmed ,nor enlarged)?
Unfortunately it does not prevent original page size yet. I'm planning to implement simple page detection in near future.
As a workaround you can estimate and set margins by hand.
leescott wrote:I use Windows XP. Why I can't run it after installing?
This version of ScanTailor is built on Win7. La_Tristesse had also problem running ST on XP. Ask him if he was successful with compilation on XP or you have to built it yourself from source codes.
leescott wrote:And how to run it in scantailor-cli?Could you give me pictures step by steps?Thanks!
just run scantailor-cli -h from command prompt. CLI version does work on XP?
leescott

Post by leescott »

Thanks for your reply!
I'm not familiar to cli.I guess cli maybe quick ,and want to try it.
pejuko

Post by pejuko »

New version of scantailor enhanced released.
New features:
* cli version can get image file names from directory, aguments or stdin
* pagedetect patch which allows detect page in black margins or switch off page content detection and keep original page layout. To detect and keep original pages from command line try: scantailor-cli --disable-content-detection --enable-page-detection --enable-fine-tuning --margins=0 images outdir/

I've marked this release as -pre because there are still some bugs in gui version (cli version should be fine).
dtic

Post by dtic »

Can ST enhanced be installed side by side with ST? Or will it overwrite or in some lesser way mess with the preexisting ST install?

"pagedetect patch which allows detect page in black margins"

I don't understand what that means. Is there some sample image of what this new feature selects compared to the default feature?
pejuko

Post by pejuko »

dtic wrote:Can ST enhanced be installed side by side with ST?
No, but this new features are disabled by default.
dtic wrote:"pagedetect patch which allows detect page in black margins"
I don't understand what that means. Is there some sample image of what this new feature selects compared to the default feature?
It trims black (or dark) borders and remembers info about the page size which can be used later. ScanTailor's content detection detects "only" content and throws away information about anything else. New page size is then computed as the biggest content from all pages and current content is then realigned. It is impossible to keep original page size/layout. Pagedetect patch enables this. You can now either disable content detection and sets the margins to 0 or let the content detection enabled (and get rid of more noise) and also enable auto margins feature which computes margins as difference between detected borders of content and detected page borders in original image.