DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

Post by daniel_reetz »

Last October, in NYC, I announced a new DIY Book Scanner kit (the "Hackerspace Scanner").

Today, after dozens of revisions, hundreds of hours of work, and thousands of great ideas from the community, the first eight kits are ready for purchase.

Pick one up at http://diybookscanner.myshopify.com/ - price includes domestic shipping.
DIY_Book_Scanner_Kit_DSC01650.jpg
If you order in the next 24 hours, I will ship tomorrow (Monday, June 4th). Otherwise, your order will ship on Saturday, June 9th.
DIY-Book-Scanner-Kits-IMG_20120603_151905.jpg
DIY-Book-Scanner-Kits-IMG_20120603_151905.jpg (50.32 KiB) Viewed 55876 times
This is a beta run. If you are interested, I encourage you to buy one now. These first 8 scanners will get extra personal support from me to make sure you get comfortably past the construction stage.
DIY_Book_Scanner_Kit_DSC01667.jpg
DIY_Book_Scanner_Kit_DSC01667.jpg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 55876 times
This is Open Hardware. Here are the design files used to make this scanner.

DETAILS:
REGION:

Currently, I can only ship within the domestic USA, but anywhere in the USA is fine. I am working on solutions for international people. This is an international forum and I take international customers seriously.

The specific wood that the parts will be cut from.

18mm CARB-compliant Baltic Birch. This is the best Baltic Birch available in SoCal.
DIY_book_scanner_kit_birchDSC01668.jpg
DIY_book_scanner_kit_birchDSC01668.jpg (85.61 KiB) Viewed 55876 times
Hardware:
I am including everything except glass, paint, and cameras. That means you'll get every screw, bearing, bolt, and even a wired-up LED light for your rig. You'll have to paint the wood, decide on a camera, and buy the glass locally (it just doesn't ship well).
DIY_BOOK_SCANNER_KIT_DSC01668.jpg
DIY_BOOK_SCANNER_KIT_DSC01668.jpg (116.34 KiB) Viewed 55876 times
Any restrictions on the maker's schedule.

I will be gone between Tuesday June 4th until Saturday June 9th. After I return, there will be about a week where I tool up to do large runs of scanners.

Any other information. More information is better.

Here you go, people who want kits! I have kits available NOW. And I am SO HAPPY ABOUT IT.

Please ask any questions about the kits here.
Heelgrasper
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 500

Re: DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

Post by Heelgrasper »

Great job! Hopefully they will be available in the EU at some point to.
---
Jakob Øhlenschlæger
Randers, Denmark

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there
L. P. Hartley
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm definitely looking for people to either

A. Make them in the EU and sell them as "official kits"
or
B. Ship them from my personal factory and sell them in the EU.

Interested people are welcome to contact me!
Gerard
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Gerard »

Thanks for be so open "hardware", your are some kind of a hero, lets hope that many people (me included) will flow this path to a better future
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I couldn't have done it without everyone here. Just look at the sheer number of improvements that the community put into this design, and especially the software, which I could never do myself. So it's my turn: thanks, everybody.
Karyudo
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch

Post by Karyudo »

Very, very tempted. But -- as I've just posted on Google+ -- I'm in Vancouver, and technically that disqualifies me. If you're cool with taking payment via Canadian credit card and shipping to about the farthest-north town in Washington (Blaine), then I could conceivably buy one.

I'd also have to consider whether I've actually got almost $600 to spare on something like this, but I think if I don't think about it too much, I can probably manage...

What sort of glass specs are needed? (For example, size, thickness, tech specs on toughness, brand name, etc.?)

Does it just plug into the wall, or is some other power supply required?

Will the Canon PowerShot A590iS still work with this evolved design/software?

I guess black paint is recommended, to minimize reflections? (Seems a shame for such nice plywood, but oh, well....) Any recommendations for how much paint will be required, and what type(s) would be best suited?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Let me look into the shipping issue-I'll figure it out tomorrow morning and answer the rest of your questions as well...
Aegis
E-book readers owned: Irex DR1000S, iPad 2 32GB
Number of books owned: 8000

Post by Aegis »

daniel_reetz wrote:I'm definitely looking for people to either

A. Make them in the EU and sell them as "official kits"
or
B. Ship them from my personal factory and sell them in the EU.

Interested people are welcome to contact me!
Just dropping a line that my idea for the EU-operation will take off in two weeks. I'll send you a PM.
Karyudo
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch

Post by Karyudo »

daniel_reetz wrote:Let me look into the shipping issue-I'll figure it out tomorrow morning and answer the rest of your questions as well...
Cool. I'm sure the shipping is a non-issue -- it's US domestic shipping to a US address that receives hundreds of packages weekly (albeit mostly for Canadians). The payment should also be a non-issue, as I've used my credit card to buy probably hundreds of things in the US and points farther afield. But because I know you're one guy, essentially working out of his basement, I just want to confirm that all systems are go at your end and that it's cool with you for one of your scanners to end up a little further north than you might otherwise have imagined.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Most definitely cool with that. There are two kits left (and I'll be emailing you to be sure you get this). If you order one, I'll find a way to get it to you no matter what.

Alternately, I'll be making more as fast as I can, and we can work out something that isn't rushed. But yes, it's cool, and I'm definitely willing to go thru the little extra to get one to you.